CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 4, 2016

Uncle Dudley...

In the middle of packing and moving we got news that Uncle Dudley had passed away.  He hadn't been well for about a year, and he kept telling Aunt Beverly that if anything happened, to just let it be.  He was also having dementia and Aunt Beverly was pretty tied down to taking care of him.  They didn't leave home much.  He had gone outside one afternoon to dig a little in the driveway to make runoff for all the snow they had been having.  It was making the driveway muddy so he was making some furrows to let the water drain.  Aunt Beverly looked out the window and saw him out working by their garage.  She gathered up some garbage to take out and by the time she went outside, he was laying on the ground.  His hat and glasses were sitting next to him, so she feels like something was happening and he sat down.  He was gone just like that.  Aunt Beverly felt sure he was dead, (he was) she called Durran and Teresa (her son and daughter-in-law) and they came right over.  She could hardly talk on the phone as she had been sick and lost her voice.  That is the way Uncle Dudley would have wanted to go, quickly and quietly with his boots on and a shovel in his hand!  We had received the keys to our house on Friday and had started moving some things over.  A truck load at a time.  We were glad to take a break and drive to Loa for the funeral on March 2nd.  Dave took the day off and it was a very good day.  We drove through a little snow and the Koosharem reservoir was frozen.  They had some great displays and some beautiful wreaths.  I especially loved the barbed wire on that said "Don't fence me in." And the shovel with a flower arrangement on it.  I imagine it to be his shovel, but I don't know for sure. I loved the painting that looked just like him on his horse!  I will just put funeral pictures on this post and then a couple others from some interesting things that happened while we were there.  We waited in line quite awhile for the viewing.  It was a packed funeral!  He has a large family and has lived in the community forever so has tons of friends too.  Aunt Beverly, Durran and Suzette looked good and said they were holding up well.  We have stood in their place and know what it is like.  Uncle Dudley looked good an at peace.  There was a beautiful embroidered scene in the lid of his casket of a cowboy on his horse.  The services were very nice, lots of cowboy stories!  His grandsons all spoke and a close friend.  The music was beautiful and I was so glad we could be there!  My brother Ron made it, flew into Vegas from Alaska pretty cheaply and then drove up.  Several cousins were there and I enjoyed visiting with them.  Wish I had pictures of them all!  I didn't even get a picture with Aunt Beverly! I couldn't get out of the chapel fast enough to get a picture of them bringing the casket down those tall stairs!  The chapel is upstairs and is so pretty.  It looks historic to me.  We took pictures of it after the luncheon.  The cemetery was beautiful with the military honors but it sure was windy and cold!  I love the military honors and it brings back memories of my dad's funeral.  My cousins Bradley was in tears through that portion too and I know it made him think of his dad's funeral (Uncle Roger Burnett). Uncle Dudley and Aunt Beverly had their headstone made a long time ago.  It is beautiful.  Their brand was on everything.  The casket (inside and out!), their headstone and the vases on the headstone.  I had a great talk with my cousin Camille Bagley about her mom and dad's deaths.  I will write more about that later.  After the cemetery we went back to the beautiful Loa church house and had a nice meal.  I am so glad we were able to be there.  I hope Aunt Beverly will have family there with her for the next little while.  I think she will look forward to some alone time and being able to not worry about anyone for awhile.  She was pretty taxed by the end of Uncle Dudley's life with his dementia.  I know a lot how she feels!  RIP Uncle Dudley! I hope there are horses in heaven to ride!













 Ron with Uncle Valoy
 Cousins Keldon, Darren and Kevin Brown
 Curtis, Aunt Lew and JJ (their great grandson in between them)
Cousin Durran, his wife Teresa and their daughter Bridget who I finally got to meet!
 Cousin Suzette finally getting something to eat! 








0 comments: