CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 22, 2011

First Day of School, 2011 and a couple of other random things...

Today is the first day of school here in Clovis.  Joel is a JUNIOR!  I still can't believe it!  I remember it was yesterday I was putting him on that bus for kindergarten...time sure does fly!  We measured him last night and he is just shy of 5'11" and when I say just shy of, I mean such a tiny little smidgeon you can't even measure it!  He has grown a quarter of an inch since April!  It must have been hiking Mt. Whitney that did it.  They did say they all left here boys and came home MEN.  That was a wonderful experience that he was privileged to have this summer.  A memory that will follow him the rest of his life.  Hiking to the highest peak in the continental states...Many thanks to the scout leaders (Budge, Swinney, Saunders and Bogle) for taking them on this adventure and keeping them alive to return home safely.  We are sure proud of this junior and wish him the best school year ever!  Seminary starts in the morning and I do believe he is excited for that to start up again too.  He has wonderful teachers again this year...the Ouinjans.  We expect to hear great things!
 And now for the random...My mom taught me to make Cream Puffs and I have made them for YEARS.  They are always a hit and people enjoy them.  Well, I found a recipe that is the exact same recipe, but you spread it in a cake pan and make a cake!  I was excited to try it!  I was a little nervous as it puffed all up in the oven, and thought it might sink a bit when I brought it out.  It did a  LITTLE, but this is what it looked like...
 All uneven and definitely PUFF.  But you know what?  You spread your pudding/cream cheese mixture over and put Cool Whip and chocolate sauce on top, and it is a great cake!  Easier and less time consuming than the individual cream puffs...I will still make those too, but when I'm in a hurry, this recipe will take the cake!!  And last but not least...Saturday night was our stake youth dance, "Tropical Splash."  They had a photo booth so Terry and I just HAD to get a shot!
I have loved every minute of working with her these last five years in the stake young women program...she is WONDERFUL! I learn so much from her and we are definitely kindred spirits!  Thank you "Mama O" for letting me be a part of your life...I guess you know I have adopted you and cousin Scotty for life...you will never be rid of me!

4 comments:

Grandma Honey

Joel even looks taller in that picture!

I would love to have that cream puff cake recipe. Do you think you could post that?

PS I can very well understand how those guys left as boys and came back as men. That hike looked mighty scary to me!

kelly

He looks so much like his dad!

Amanda

Wow. He is tall. And that is a cute picture of the two of you at the end! 5 years!

Grandmotherfairy

Joel is so handsome...and tall...and he talks a little more than I remember in Sunbeams...I too would like the cream puff recipe...and I am so glad the you are in....oops....:)