Our summer is going along at an alarming rate! One month from today I will be on a plane to Georgia (can I hear a YAY!?) and Joel will be 3 days into his senior year. Yikes! I was very happy that the first two weeks after school was out this year, Joel had back-to-back activities. The first was Scout Camp. A full week of fun in the mountains with good friends and leaders.
They caught so many fish they were able to use some for a relay game...and here Scoutmaster Budge is trying to get one in Joel's mouth...do you think he succeeded? It was Monday through Saturday morning and we are grateful for the leaders that took time to make it all happen. Joel had a great time and came home for one day of rest before leaving again...
The week after scout camp was EFY (Especially For Youth) and it was held right here at our West Stake Center. So it was a "stay-at-home" EFY where the kids actually go home and sleep in their own beds at night. But they got up each morning to be out there by 9 and were there until 9 o'clock each night. Joel was in a great group and they had a wonderful time. The theme was "Arise and Shine Forth" and I truly believe these young people do just that. They are amazing! I am so glad he got to have this opportunity! He is the second from left on the back row. Again, we appreciate all the leaders and many hands that make this all work! They were served meals and had games, activities, lessons, classes, dances, etc. and were kept busy all day long! A life changing event for a lot of youth. A definite testimony builder.
EFY was Monday through Friday, so after getting home late Friday evening, our ward left the next morning for a youth conference over on the coast! An all day event that was really special. Again, it followed this year's mutual theme "Arise and Shine Forth." They went to this lighthouse and the lighthouse keeper spoke with them. I am not sure what all the program was, but I do know Joel had a short talk he had to give and one of the leaders texted me and told me what a good job he did! She said even the lighthouse keeper was impressed. I was so glad she let me know that! They also spent some time on the beach and were fed temporally and spiritually. We are thankful for wonderful youth leaders in our ward that make things like this happen. All the work and planning and time, it is all worth it and we thank them very much for letting THEIR lights shine!
These were a couple of pictures the leader gave to us. We love you Joel! You are the brightest beacon in our house and we truly look up to you (literally too!) and your shining example.
One month left of summer vacation...I wonder what is in store next?





2 comments:
I saw Joel coming into church yesterday and couldn't believe how much he has grown....that quiet little sunbeam has turned into such a handsome young man!
Love that last black and white of Joel! I'm amazed at how the youth RAVE about EFY. What an inspired happening.
Post a Comment