It seems that Heavenly Father saw fit this week to remind me of something. I need to be grateful for the comforts of life which I take for granted. I get up every day and take a warm shower, run my dishwasher, do the laundry. All with a simple turn of a knob I have hot water to do my bidding. I haven't been thankful enough for it, until I didn't have it. After many attempts to keep the pilot light lit on our water heater, and it not wanting to do it (two days in a row) we turned to the internet and found that our "thermocoupler" was most likely broken and we would need to replace it. So we called our wonderful handyman Mike Nankervis who knew exactly what it was the minute we told him the problem. "Oh, your thermocoupler needs replacing!. Turns out the contractors who built our home put in the cheapest water heater they could buy. (we often wondered why this house was such a good deal!). We bought our home in 2004 and they stopped making parts for our water heater the year before...2003. AND, it had a warranty of 6 years, which expired in April. Go figure. According to our handyman and the people at the hardward store, you can TRY to find an "adapter" to switch the thermocoupler from a left hand thread to a right hand thread (or vice versa!) but we would have to have it shipped and then risk the chance of it breaking again in another year. So we decided to bite the bullet and buy a new water heater. I do not like shopping for major appliaces...But...agfter 4 days of cold showers, eating off paper plates and not getting any laundry done...thanks to Dave and Mike...we have a new water heater! Believe me, I am truly grateful for the simplicities of life and the comforts that I enjoy every day and have been taking for granted. I will try to do better at acknowleding my Heavenly Father for the many "easy" things I have. I know why I was not born a pioneer...and I need to thank Heavenly Father every day for that and a myriad of other things...
The one thing that got me through this troublesome week...
a fun phone call with my grandson David! He wanted to talk to Grandma! So I called him and he answered the phone..."Hi Grandma!" He then continued to jabber incessantly and even though I couldn't understand most of it, I LOVED it! It made my day! Pure bliss I tell ya...Thank you David for making me smile and brightening my day!!


6 comments:
I love hearing Jayden say Mamma too !! It does make the trivial trials recede in to their proper place !!
We had this same exact problem with our water heater a few years ago. It was only a year or 2 old! It was in the middle of the winter and we kept trying to keep it going...so this went on for weeks...and we got to know showers of several homes! We learned that a warranty is only as good as the company who makes it. Oh yes, we did learn to appreciate a nice warm shower in our own home. Good you got a new one!
Our water heater broke a few years ago, in winter. At the time we had gym memberships and I went there a few times so I didn't have to take a cold shower. We put our water heater on the street, I think it was before trash pickup but it got picked up before that.
We've had our water well stop working. Then you become thankful for such things as flushing the toilet!!! We should all stop and think about the many blessing we all enjoy today.
OH WOW. We had the same thing happen a few months ago. The good thing is our rental people paid for the water heater. Let me tell you a lot of things have had to be replaced in this house since we've lived here. It has been frustrating at times but, I feel really blessed to live in this home. I so appreciate the modern
things we have today. I actually like a colder shower on these hot days.. :)
I guess it is better for the water heater to go out when its 100 outside than when it is 60. Its more refreshing that way -well at least for a minute. I'm glad you were able to get a new one.
Post a Comment