CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Temple Square lights...

I must preface this post by saying how excited I am that Kelly Laing and her family moved up here from Clovis!  She lives about 20 minutes away so we made them some "Utah" cookies (handcrafted!) with snowflake cookies and delivered them on evening.  It was fun to see their house and we made plans to meet up on the Frontrunner train and go to Temple Square to see the lights turn on the day after Thanksgiving.  We did it!!  Everyone else had the same idea and that train was standing room only!!  It was so cold that night!  We arrived about 45 minutes before time for the lights to come one.  We took turns going into the visitor's center to get warm, while saving our spots.  We had been there once before when they turned the lights on and the crowds were impossible!  Well, this night there were no crowds.  It was so weird.  But as soon as the lights came on, there were people everywhere!  Anyway, I think the temperature was about 28 degrees but the "real feel" was 19.  Biting cold!!  The Laings were not dressed warm enough.  They thought they were, but they weren't.  They were dressed for California cold.  We had brought sack lunches to eat while we waited.  Once the lights came on, we walked around for a bit, and went inside the tabernacle to get warmed up before finishing the rest of the lights. What we wouldn't give for a cup of hot chocolate!!  We went around to where the nativity is in the reflecting pool.  It was too crowded and to dark to get a good picture.  I did take one of their family, Ben covered his face!  I couldn't tell while I was taking it though. It was very beautiful even though it was so cold.  We joked that Donna Miller needs to make Kelly a "Utah" scarf, as the cute one she made her for California just wasn't cutting it!  Peyton was crying that it was so cold and she was so tired while we waited for the train to go back.  I felt so bad for her.  I tried to get a picture of her scrunched up face but she yawned right when I took the picture.  Anyway, we got on trax, drove the little ways to the train station and then waited for the train.  It was so nice to get on and get warm!  Standing room only again.  Micah sat on the floor so leaned up for me to get a picture.  Despite the cold, it was super fun to be there!  I look forward to going back with the grandkids another night!  Beautiful!!!  









 





Kelly was feeding Peyton like a little bird because her hand were bundled up inside her coat and she couldn't feed herself!  Also it was Jacob's 13th birthday!  Thanks for letting us share it with you!

1 comments:

Grandma Honey

Yep that scarf definitely not for Utah :) I remember one year Dennis had to stop at Walmart in Utah to get some thermal underwear just to survive the cold. He said the cold would go right through him. I've never experienced that kind of cold.