CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Another old home...

When I was 7-8 we lived in Fairbanks, Alaska at Fort Wainwright.  This is a picture of the front of our quarters.  We are the door on the right and had two stories and a basement.


 It just so happens my brother's daughter just moved to Fairbanks recently and he is there visiting right now and sent me these pictures!  His son-in-law is military so could get him on the base.  Here is our "home" today...It is one long building with 6 sets of entrances...12 living quarters in all...
   My brother said these are not living quarters anymore but are offices...he went up and took pictures through the window of the back door...this is the back of the building...
 In each unit there was one back door entry for two living quarters...there was a stairway going down into a tunnel system that you could get to various buildings on the base and not have to go out in the weather.  Someone told my brother the tunnel system is now closed up.  This is the stairway down to the tunnel, that I guess goes nowhere now...
 Then on each side of that stairway going down, was a stairway going up to each living quarter.  That was our kitchen door right there!  How fun that Ron got to be there and see our old haunting grounds!  And how timely since I had just done a recent post about other old houses and how they look today.  Fun stuff!
I know this post won't mean anything to anyone but me, but it brought back a lot of wonderful memories of my childhood, of our travels in the military and of all the places and homes we have lived in.  Thanks Ron for sending the pictures!  

1 comments:

Grandma Honey

That must have been quite the feeling for your brother to see that "house" after all these years. I'm sure you are loving those pictures. The past is so far away, yet, seems so close, huh? I'm very much into seeing old houses I lived in, and they are all in Fresno!