CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 16, 2013

By Request...Romper Room!

I had mentioned that I was on Romper Room in a previous post, and a sweet friend, Grandma Honey, said I should do a post about it...so here we go!  I believe it was about 1966 or 1967.  We were visiting my Aunt Lew and Uncle Jim in Salt Lake City, Utah.  Someone they knew worked at KSL TV and they needed another child for their Romper Room show for the week.  So I was it!  I don't remember a whole lot about it...but I do remember "Miss Julie" and her "magic mirror" and I also remember a few of the things we did.  In this picture I am in the middle, short blonde pixy hair, blue dress and white shoes...
 Here we are eating what looks like birthday cake!  I am on the far end in the pink dress drinking my milk.
 I do remember playing with the punching bags...I also remember playing with the punching balls (that are hanging up in the back there...the big balloons on a string...I remember those!
 It was shown every morning 5 or 6 days a week...but we filmed them in about 3 days...so you will notice that Miss Julie's outfit changes, when ours stay the same.  I guess she would go change and then we would film another episode.  See the Do Bee and Don't Bee signs in the back?  We were Do Bees.  
 That is me holding the flag.  We did the pledge every morning (every episode).
 Dancing or twirling?  Not sure.  My dad was obviously in the studio taking these pictures...I'm glad he did! I am in light pink and hard to see, but I am there!
 Another pledge picture..
 Stick ponies...I don't remember those.  But we were "Do Bees" and learned the right things to "do" - "Do say please," etc.
I still have my Do Bee ring...a bit bent up, but I have it.  It says "I am a Romper Room Do Bee."  It has a jack-in-the-box on it.  
So there you have it...my 15 minutes of fame when I was 4.  Maybe 5.  I can't remember.  But I will always be a "Do Bee."

1 comments:

Grandma Honey

Loved it! Interesting about the teacher changing her outfit to make it look like another day. I took my little brother to Romper Room for a week in Fresno back in the day and he went everyday M-F.

I loved how the show would end with the teacher looking in her mirror and saying random kids' names...always wanting her to say my name.

Amazing you have your ring all these years later!