CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Notes from Women's conference part one...(gonna be lengthy!)


I decided to transcribe my notes from women's conference, not for anyone's benefit but my own.  I just like them where I can read them!  There are a lot of them...an most of them I can actually still read (it was kind of dark in some rooms taking notes, especially the Marriott Center).

May 1st (Thursday) at the opening session of this wonderful conference, the new president of BYU and his wife were introduced. President Worthen. It was his FIRST DAY on the job!  What an initiation!  Ha!  He was thanked for providing the facility for us.  When he stood to give a few remarks he said, "I didn't provide this facility, I am a STEWARD over this facility.  It's his duty to assist INDIVIDUALS, not just students, in their quest for perfection and eternal life.  He encouraged us to listen for things not heard over the pulpit, to listen and feel and the Spirit will testify and instruct us personally.

Then the keynote speaker was Sheri Dew!  She had been so ill on Monday, and the Dr. told her she needed to be in bed for at least 10 days!  But she had 15,000 of her "best friends" counting on her for Thursday.  Through priesthood power, much prayer and fasting from her family and friends, she was there to deliver her address.  Her voice sounded bad, like a really bad sore throat, but she gave an amazing talk. (not surprised!).  Sis. Dew said she asked a stake Relief Society presidency what ladies in their stake would want to learn about Grace...they said they didn't know enough about that to know what they would want!  So Sis. Dew's first question to us was "What do you understand about Grace?"  She spoke of Grace being amazing power, redeeming power, the fruit of the atonement.  Grace is power that flows from the atonement.  Read "Grace" in the bible dictionary.  When reading a scripture with the word "Grace" substitute the word "power."

"How can grace help me?" The Lord doesn't move the mountain, but he helps us climb it.  He makes his power available to us (Holy Ghost, Priesthood power, keys authorized to use by both men and women etc.)

"What must we do to obtain grace?" To know something, we go to the university.  To become something, we go to the Temple.  The scripture "Saved by Grace after all we can do." All we can do = the direction we are heading.  It's all about discipleship.  Loving the Lord first, a change of heart, behave like a true follower, remember Him in all activities, conflicts, temptations...IMMERSION in the Gospel.

What one thing would I give up starting today to center more on the Savior and unlock his Grace?

Then this statement really made me sit up and think..."We are preparing the world to receive the Savior...and to present the Church of the Lamb TO the Lamb."

The key to unlocking the power to covenant women is for covenant women to work on unlocking the power.  Sis. Dew referenced a talk by Bruce C. Hafen called "The Enabling Power of the Atonement."

We can't be a disciple of someone we don't know.  For a brief synopsis of her talk you can go here.  I will be studying much more about this topic, I assure you!

The first class Miss Donna and I decided to attend was "My Grace is Sufficient for Thee" by Elaine Carter and Grant Anderson.  Sis. Carter went first.  She was a great speaker, very inspiring and has an amazing story of her own.  She talked about the Atonement being a redemptive power, and an enabling power.  Helps us become Saints.  She taught us to have a "To Be" list instead of a "To Do" list.  To focus on Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father.  To know them, to become like them and we can't until we know them.  She referenced a talk by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland titled "Lessons from Liberty Jail" and one from Elder David A. Bednar titled "In the Strength of the Lord" and a book "The Continuous Atonement" by Brad Wilcox. (I believe there is a talk by him with a similar theme "His Grace is Sufficient" I think it's called - still have to look that up!).

Mortal angels help us.
Don't 1-up people.
Be more merciful and kind.
Pray for others
Don't judge
See good in others

"Anything we do well is a gift from God." - Lloyd Newell

Sister Carter also referenced a talk by President Monson "Goblet of Gratitude."

Perfection will not be achieved in this life.  Throw away the big stick you beat yourself up with.
Pray to Father to judge and parent me.  God cares more about our growth than our comfort.
Oct. 1953 J. Reuben Clark said "He want so save ALL of His children.

And my favorite quote from her talk was by Bruce C. Hafen "Grace can be BEFORE, DURING, and AFTER all we can do.  I think I always tend to think it comes AFTER the trial or whatever I'm working on is DONE.

Bro. Grant:

Sorrow is a key component of earth life.
Separations - death and otherwise
Heartbreak is all around us
He referenced two hymns with these lines "Precious Savior, Dear Redeemer, let not sorrow overwhelm us" "In a world where sorrow ever will be known"
Grace in Greek = Divine or holy influence on the heart
Sufficient in Greek = strength be enough - defend
Frustrations essentially a function of high expectations
Don't shake your fists at God for what you expect from living right (expectations)

I learned that the word YEA in the scriptures is often and "amplifier word." More clarity, (louder).  Clarifies what was spoken before the word yea.  "Highly favored, yea, having had great knowledge of the mysteries of God."
The Lord only gives bread and fish, not stones and serpents (S. Michael Wilcox gave a wonderful talk about this last year at education week!).
Even during a wrestle we can have peace and forgiving.
Why should I linger in the valley of sorrow?  Don't let it overwhelm you, be helped through His Grae.

That was just the first two hours of the morning!  I obviously have a lot of reading and studying to do!  I can see that I need to break this down into a few sections...too much information for one sitting!

0 comments: