My birthday is coming up, and I like the idea of celebrating birthday "week." What I wanted to do for my birthday was go to Wayne County and visit my two aunties there. But in order to do that we had to go on Saturday, so it is a couple of days early for my birthday week...but I will take it! Dave was my driver and traveling companion. (Thanks honey!) I cannot explain the feelings I get as we drive over the mountain and into Wayne County. The beautiful red rocks and scenery. It's where my mom grew up (Bicknell) and where I visited as a child. I have such fond memories of my grandma's house, and my aunt's house too (she lives in Loa). All our reunions there and just so many memories! The nostalgia just sweeps over me and I almost cry with the wonderful feelings of being there. I wish we would have had time to drive down through Capitol Reef, but not this trip. My other aunt (who purchased the old family home and remodeled it) now lives in Torrey, so I planned on visiting them both. We got to Loa first and stopped in to see Aunt Beverly and Uncle Dudley...we chatted for a bit and then drove on to Torrey to visit Aunt Lew and her husband Curtis. Aunt Bev and Uncle Dudley followed close behind with pizza they had ordered. We had a nice pizza lunch in Torrey and Aunt Lew had made brownies (with ice cream of course) for dessert. It was such a lovely day! I enjoyed visiting with them so much! Aunt Bev had written a poem a few years ago that I made into a bookmark. At her request I had printed her some more and brought them for her to sign. I brought my laminating machine also so we could laminate them on the spot. She would not look at me when I took the picture of her "autographing" her work...she does not like the camera! It's a wonderful poem about her "Library in Heaven." She loves to read so we connect on another level in that respect. And she writes beautiful poetry. I typed up her life history last year and now we are trying to get Aunt Lew to get started on hers! Anyway, it was a lovely day (the weather was perfect!) and I just enjoyed it so much. There is just something about being there, where my mom loved it so much (it was always HOME for her) and with two of her sisters who she loved so much...it is an emotional feeling that I just can't explain. We enjoyed our drive back home and will continue with birthday "week" if I can help it!
Curtis, Lew, Beverly and Dudley
We lived in Loa for a year while my dad was in Vietnam...I was about 4 years old...this is the house we lived in...today how it looks, and back in the day how it looked when we lived there (that's me in front of it)
We passed this house in one of the little farming towns...I LOVE these old houses and wish I could have one to just fix up however I wanted...I enjoyed seeing these kinds of homes on our trip...we drove through several tiny communities and I loved picking out all the old homes. What an enjoyable day!



0 comments:
Post a Comment