Wednesday afternoon as soon as I got home from work, we loaded up the car to head for Vegas and then Utah! Schneider Electric was nice enough to let us a rent a car AND pay for our gas since Dave would be visiting their Salt Lake location on this trip. We are most grateful for that help! Made the trip not so stressful! Before we left, I quickly finished this cupcake apron for Randa (a belated birthday gift) and I thought it turned out cute. The brown part has cupcake "sprinkles" on it. Happy Birthday Randa!
After our stay at our favorite Comfort Inn out by Nellis AFB, we got up leisurely and headed for St. George. I love visiting there! We decided to go and tour the tabernacle. It's been several years since we did that, so it's fun to do it again. This nice missionary led our "tour" and his daughter lives in Fresno! He is from LA. His wife was doing the tour ahead of us...our tour was just us three and a couple with their child from Arizona!
Anyone that knows me at all know that I love "old" things, and history...so it's always fun for me to look at the old pictures and imagine the people that built the buildings...here is the tabernacle in progress.
Made with these kinds of tools! Incredible!
This is a congregation of primary children...the chandeliers had to be lowered and the candles lit, and the organ was an old pump organ (if you could see the picture closely, the gentleman playing it has quite a mustache!) and after the balcony had been finished, Brigham Young came to see it and said it had to be lowered so everyone could see the pulpit. That was quite an undertaking!
There are two of these beautifully crafted spiral stairways...made by Miles Romney. Mitt Romney's great grandfather! I believe he was the architect for the whole building, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, they are beautiful staircases and we got to go up one! This is looking up through it (Joel was my photographer, loved having him along!)
And looking down...
One of the ornate chandeliers...(electric now but looking beautiful and old).
Our tour guide's wife played the organ for us (and her tour!)...it was so neat to hear it! Not the original organ of course, but an old one with about 800 pipes!
The fold down chairs in the balcony...this is one of the originals...
Beautiful symbolism in the decor...the all seeing eye, there is a hand pointing to heaven, and two hands clasped that say faith and union. And if you look closely, there are bunches of grapes all around the top of the tabernacle...pretty! I remember Elder Holland giving a talk and he said as a boy he would sit in the tabernacle for priesthood meetings and count all the grape clusters! He even told how many there were. I don't remember the count. He was a deacon.

This is going into the main floor of the tabernacle...the picture of Christ with the sunlight shining on it is just beautiful! And of course it's by one of the beautiful historic staircases...
This is outside the tabernacle. It was a beautiful day! Such a beautiful building! We did a "short" tour because the couple with us needed to get through quickly...so he didn't tell us the story about the clock in the tower...but I remember something about it being shipped from England by the same clock makers of Big Ben and how long it took...because it was brought by wagon from California. I will have to look up some history notes and be better informed! Can you see me and Dave in this picture?
These cute sculptures were outside the tabernacle...we thought they were a fun addition!
We of course went to Deseret Industries and then we had lunch at Dairy Queen, complete with blizzards! Drove past the St. George Temple too...I love this area and could very happily live here. Maybe when we retire! On to Utah county and our quest to buy a house!


1 comments:
Thank you for the tour! I've only been to St George once but we didn't get to see much. Dennis has talked about wanting to live there since we first got married. I remember that grape story too....if you ever find out who that was let me know okay?
Post a Comment