Here is where it begins...
Joel and Dave ready to get started...Dave was still sick so decided to just do as much as he could...he wasn't sure how far he could make it...35 miles sounds like a lot when your head is all stuffed up...
Bishop and Ann on their tandem ready to lead the way!
Melanie, Ryan, Melanie's brother and friend, and Tom all left earlier...they did the 50 miler!
There's the tandem with Dave and Joel right behind, heading off into the fog...
I stayed out in front of the hotel for a few minutes and took pictures and watched all the riders. There were a lot! A cold and foggy morning, but it didn't deter them. All ages, all shapes, it was amazing...
They just kept coming! And going! It was fun that our hotel was right on the main street and we could watch a lot of it.
I saw a LOT of tandem bikes. There were three together but by the time I snapped the picture one had already passed...I even saw one tandem pulling a trailer with a child in it! Amazing. Talk about a family affair! Dave made it about 10 miles and he was done for. He was so congested and was having a hard time breathing. I was afraid I was going to have to carry him upstairs to our room! But he made it and then he crawled back in bed! A couple of hours later he got up and we went for a walk down the streets of Solvang. Then we found a spot to watch for Joel and the others to get back. We hadn't been there 5 minutes when here they came! If you look hard you can see them in the picture. They were coming too fast so I knew I had to snap one quick! I will enlarge it and zoom in on them when I scrapbook it.
We followed them back down the last block to the hotel...I wasn't there in time to get the picture of Ann and Dan doing the high five...but it was cute!
They don't even look tired! (But I think they were a little...) Congratulations Joel for completing your first ride! Thanks Winieckes for the inspiration to go cycling!
And the 50 milers at the finish line...woo hoo!! They earned their Solvang eclair! (We had already had ours by the time they got back...but we saved them one!
After everyone cleaned up, we had a fun rest of the afternoon in Solvang...more to come!




0 comments:
Post a Comment